All items, includaing key items, shops, and enemy drops, are randomly generated in Elden Ring Key Item Randomizer.
► Elden Ring best build for beginners
Elden Ring Key Item Randomizer
PERMISSIONS AND CREDITS
Credits and distribution rights
- Assets of other users: All of the assets in this Elden Ring Key Item Randomizer file are either the author’s or free-to-use modder’s resources.
- Upload authorization: Under no circumstances may you upload this Elden Ring Key Item Randomizer file to other websites.
- Permission to modify: Under no circumstances may you modify my files, including creating bug fixes or improving features.
- Permission to convert: Under no circumstances are you permitted to convert this file for use in other games.
- Permission to use an asset: Under no circumstances are you permitted to use assets from this Elden Ring Key Item Randomizer file.
- Asset use permission in purchased mods/files: This file’s assets may not be used in any mods or files that are sold for money on Steam Workshop or other platforms.
- Permission to use assets in mods/files that earn donation points: You cannot earn Donation Points for your mods if they use my assets.
Notes from the Author
This author has made no additional notes about file permissions.
This author has not credited anyone else in this Elden Ring Key Item Randomizer file
It’s an Elden Ring offline item randomizer that modifies the files loaded at game startup. A full enemy and boss randomizer is also in the works.
Elden Ring Key Item Randomizer is supported for the following items:
- Items discovered throughout the world, including key items
- Drops from enemies and bosses, including key items
- Purchase items
- Starting weapons and armor for the character – And much more!
Normally, you only need two Great Runes and the Rold Medallion to complete the game. When the bias slider is set high, the key item randomizer can chain key items together. There’s also a mode in which you must collect all seven Great Runes before facing the final boss.
You can join the discord server at https://discord.gg/QArcYud if you want to provide feedback or playtest (also for Fog Gate Randomizer, Sekiro Randomizer, DS3 Static Randomizer). This mod is still in development, and it will be updated when the game is updated, so please check back here and on the server for updates.
See Luke’s Item and Elden Ring Item Randomiser for more randomization. If you disable randomizing items and shops in it, it should be compatible with this mod.
Translators are needed! If you are a native speaker of a language supported by Elden Ring that does not yet have a translation (Italiano,,, Português, уcски, ), please contact me and fill out the Elden Ring Key Item Randomizer files in diste\Messages to assist in making this mod available in other languages. Please let me know if any additional features, such as font changes or space adjustments, are required.
The main Elden Ring Key Item Randomizer installation path makes use of Mod Engine 2, which is available on GitHub: https://github.com/soulsmods/ModEngine2/releases
There is also an alternative UXM installation path available. These tools are both in beta and are maintained by users on the FromSoftware modding server: https://discord.gg/mT2JJjx
- Materials are now randomly distributed across maps. More Smithing Stones are added to compensate if “Smithing Stone availability” is enabled.
- Elden Ring Key Item Randomizer descriptions for 150 new locations have been added.
- Plante’s new French translation
The seeds have evolved.
Instructions how to install Elden Ring Key Item Randomizer
1. Back up your save file
Your Elden Ring save file is located in the user directory of Windows. Begin with “Local Disk” and navigate to C:Usersuser name>AppDataRoamingEldenRingsave id>. Make a backup of ER0000.sl2 and restore it before going back online. This occurs automatically the first time you click “Randomize” but if you want to be certain, do it manually!
2. Go offline on Steam (optional)
If you don’t want Elden Ring Key Item Randomizer runs to be interrupted or invalidated, consider going offline on Steam for the duration of the run (Steam > Go Offline). This is not required, but if the game is updated, your playthrough may not be complete.
All regulation.bin edits based on the previous game version will be ignored after the game updates. This includes all item location changes, character changes, and enemy attribute changes. When a new version of the randomizer becomes available, you must download it. If the seeds are compatible, you can restart the run by renaming the existing randomizer directory, unpacking the new one, and rerunning with the same seed and options.
3a. Mod Engine
If you’re familiar with Mod Engine from previous titles like DS3 and Sekiro, this option requires using the beta version of Mod Engine 2 for Elden Ring, which may be easier than UXM.
The primary distinction between Mod Engine and Mod Engine 2 is that mod directories can now be located anywhere. You do not need to change anything in your game directory! So, save Mod Engine 2 somewhere, and then save EldenRingRandomizer.zip inside the Mod Engine folder.
Uncheck “Output files for UXM” to use Mod Engine 2, and all randomized files will be written directly into the randomizer directory. It can then be used as the Mod Engine mod directory directly. Either change the default mod directory in eldenring.config.toml, add the randomizer as a new mod directory, or rename the randomizer directory to match the config. This configuration, for example, should work.
Then, instead of starting the game, run launchmod eldenring.bat. This avoids EAC and starts the game with the mod loaded. (UXM mods may remain active, but randomizer files will overwrite their files.)
If you’re using Mod Engine, skip this step. To use UXM, unpack the game and patch it with UXM. The game requires approximately 50 GB of disk space to unpack.
The most recent official UXM version is in #tools-and-resources in?ServerName? (link for Elden Ring 1.03.2 and 1.03.3, after joining the server). You should also ensure that you can avoid EAC when launching the game, or Elden Ring will refuse to start with the modified exe. You can find guides for this on the internet.
It makes no difference where you unzip EldenRingRandomizer.zip. When you select “Output files for UXM,” randomization will write all files to the game directory you specify. It will also make backups of all files that it replaces. The existing regulation.bin, for example, will be copied to regulation.bin.randobak.
4. Select options
Select your Elden Ring game exe and run EldenRingRandomizer.exe. Only choose “Output files for UXM” if you’re using UXM.
Then, choose your randomization options. “Important locations” refers to any locations you may need to visit in order to complete the game or obtain necessary upgrades. More locations will become eligible for this as the mod is updated. See the table below for more information on key items and locations.
To reset all options to their default values, click “Set options from string” delete all text in the text field, and then click “Select.” Click “Set options from string” and paste that text instead to get options/seed from someone else.
The “Merge existing param mods” option is intended to provide temporary merging support until Mod Engine supports merging. If enabled, the randomizer will begin editing parameters in the game directory with regulation.bin. Following that, it will use regulation.bin.randobak to avoid re-randomizing the same file. In the future, more advanced merging is planned.
“Randomize new run!” click. (Alternatively, if you specified a seed and unchecked “Reroll seed“, click “Run with fixed seed“)
This creates a file with hints and spoilers in the spoiler logs directory.
6. Run the game
If the game is currently running, exit it and restart it. (If using Mod Engine, DO NOT launch from Steam, launch launchmod_eldenring.bat)
If launchmod eldenring.bat closes immediately, it means Mod Engine is unable to locate your game’s location on Steam. Make sure Steam is turned on. If that doesn’t work, Elden Ring may need to be installed on the same hard drive as Steam, if it isn’t already.
The initial character selection images will not change once the game is released, but the detailed character preview screen should have different weapons and armor. The first random item in the game will appear beside Grace’s Stranded Graveyard Site.
If the game is not randomly generated and you used Mod Engine to launch it, double-check that the config file is correct and that the randomizer version is still compatible with the game’s app version.
7. Uninstall Elden Ring Key Item Randomizer
If you installed randomizer with UXM, open EldenRingRandomizer.exe and select “Restore backups” to uninstall. Examine the files and then click “OK” to restore all backups. This is also necessary if you are transitioning from UXM to Mod Engine.
If you used Mod Engine, simply stop using it or edit the Mod Engine configuration or mod folder contents.
If you do not restore your backed up save file before going online, you will be banned!
Item logic in Elden Ring Key Item Randomizer
Important modifications (and non-modifications):
- You can access Volcano Manor by dying to a grab attack at the bottom of Raya Lucaria. You can, however, get there from Volcano Manor’s prison town and vice versa. Both paths are shown in this video.
- Varre’s quest has been modified so that you no longer need to be online. Simply speak to him twice in the Rose Church.
- The contents of the shop are randomized. All shop NPCs drop their own Bell Bearings that correspond to the contents of their respective shops.
- Key items do not require optional NPC questlines. It is also never necessary to kill an NPC (so don’t kill Patches! ), and NPC death yields no good items. It is also never necessary to farm enemies for key items repeatedly.
Future planned include a cookbook randomizer, glitched logic, and, of course, an enemy randomizer. We greatly value your feedback.
If you discover any bugs, especially those that render a run inoperable, please upload your spoiler log to the Discord server and I will investigate. Otherwise, open the spoiler log and forward the first line to me (the one that starts with “Options and seed”).
Important locations are unmissable item locations that fall into one of the following required categories:
- Vanilla key item locations: Key item locations required to access the entire base game. See the list of key items below. (Except for the Pureblood Knight’s Medal and Carian Inverted Statue, which are given by NPCs you can anger.)
- Bosses: Each boss has an achievement for defeating them. (Lichdragon is excluded because he is missable.)
And here are some additional categories:
- Golden Seed trees: Each glowing golden tree has a Golden Seed beneath it.
- Sacred Tear churches: Any church that has a statue with a Sacred Tear beneath it.
- Merchant shops: Any shop that sells normal items, excluding those that only sell sorceries, incantations, or puppets.
- Minor bosses: Any enemy with a boss healthbar that drops an item is a minor boss. This includes a few potentially major bosses without achievements, such as Full-Grown Fallingstar Beast, as well as any enemy encountered in the overworld or a minidungeon (unless excluded by the “Exclude caves” option).
- Vanilla talisman treasure locations: Anywhere in the base game where you can normally find a talisman on the ground or in a chest. This category does not include enemies who drop talismans.
Elden Ring Key Item Randomizer Patches is an outlier in several ways. He’s not a boss, and he never drops anything valuable. If you do not select the “Exclude caves” option, he is considered a shop.
The full list, broken down by area and category, can be found on the list of important locations. It’s a long list, so if you’re unsure whether a particular location is significant, just use the definitions above.
Elden Ring contains over 3200 distinct item locations. Around 700 have handwritten descriptions and can contain important or noteworthy items as of randomizer version v0.1. All of the others have an automatically generated description that refers to the nearest map landmark.
Key items are items that unlock other unmissable items. They are only placed in strategic locations. These items, and only these items, can halt your progress in the randomizer until you find them. Some of these can be avoided by using glitches.
- Academy Glintstone Key: Used to gain access to Raya Lucaria’s Academy. This item comes in two versions. Only the version that says “a glintstone key remembers its user” works in this case.
- Carian Inverted Statue: This item is used to advance in the Carian Study Hall and reach the Divine Tower of Liurnia.
- Cursemark of Death: Used to enter the Deathbed Dream in Deeproot Depths. (It should be noted that the fight itself is missable and cannot contain key items.)
- Dark Moon Ring: Used to progress from Ainsel River to Moonlight Altar.
- Dectus Medallion (Left and Right): Used to ascend Dectus’ Grand Lift. Other approaches to the Altus Plateau are also feasible.
- Discarded Palace Key: This key was used to open the treasure chest in the Raya Lucaria Grand Library.
- Drawing-Room Key: Used to gain access to the Volcano Manor Drawing Room and the hidden lava area within.
- Great Runes: Two Great Runes are required to enter Leyndell via Capital Outskirts or Deeproot Depths. If that option is chosen, all seven must fight the final boss.
- Haligtree Secret Medallion (Left and Right): Used to gain access to Consecrated Snowfield, the Haligtree’s hidden path.
- Imbued Sword Key: Used to open a Sending Gate at Liurnia’s Four Belfries. In the game, there are three of these.
- Pureblood Knight’s Medal: Used to bypass the Sending Gate in Consecrated Snowfield and gain immediate access to Mohgwyn Palace.
- Rold Medallion: Used after Leyndell to gain access to the Mountaintops of the Giants.
- Rusty Key: Used to enter Stormveil Castle. Unless Gostoc dies before o pening the main gate for you, this is optional.
Other important items
The items listed below are not randomized: The Flask of Crimson Tears, the Flask of Cerulean Tears, the Flask of Wondrous Physick, the Spectral Steed Whistle, the Spirit Calling Bell, the Crafting Kit, the Whetstone Knife, the Lantern, the Serpent-Hunter, and all map fragments. These are technically possible to randomize, but I’m not sure how to balance it given how important they are to core game systems.
Talisman Pouches, Memory Stones, and Whetblades are not key items, but they are included in the pool of key items. Upgrade material, Golden Seeds, and Sacred Tears Bell When using the randomizer, bearings can also be assigned to important locations.
Bell Bearings are randomly placed in the following locations, which correspond to their vanilla locations:
- Smithing-Stone Miner’s Bell Bearing : In Liurnia
- Smithing-Stone Miner’s Bell Bearing : In Altus Plateau
- Smithing-Stone Miner’s Bell Bearing : In Mountaintops of the Giants
- Smithing-Stone Miner’s Bell Bearing : In Farum Azula
- Somberstone Miner’s Bell Bearing : In Caelid
- Somberstone Miner’s Bell Bearing : In Altus Plateau
- Somberstone Miner’s Bell Bearing : In Mountaintops of the Giants
- Somberstone Miner’s Bell Bearing : In Farum Azula
- Somberstone Miner’s Bell Bearing : In Farum Azula
- Glovewort Picker’s Bell Bearing : In Mt. Gelmir
- Glovewort Picker’s Bell Bearing : In Mountaintops of the Giants
- Glovewort Picker’s Bell Bearing : In Farum Azula
- Ghost-Glovewort Picker’s Bell Bearing : In Nokron, Eternal City
- Ghost-Glovewort Picker’s Bell Bearing : In Ainsel River
- Ghost-Glovewort Picker’s Bell Bearing : In Haligtree
The “Smithing Stone availability similar to base game” option can be used to distribute Smithing Stones. This places the majority of stones of a given tier in the appropriate area of the game, with a few stragglers allowed elsewhere. It also introduces a few new stones, ensuring 40-50 total item pickups per tier, or slightly more if collectible materials are also randomized. When this option is not selected, their placement is entirely random, and regular Smithing Stone upgrade weapons may be ineffective.
Stones discovered in mining tunnels are currently only randomized within the tunnel in which they are discovered. In future updates, they may be spread out more.
When you get stuck, you can purchase map marker hints as an optional feature. If they are enabled, they can be purchased from Kalé in the Church of Elleh after reaching the Altus Plateau.
In short, if a required key item is accessible but you haven’t found it yet, you can buy a hint on where to look for it. The first Site of Grace in the item’s area, as well as the overall name of the area, will be marked. This costs 200 runes multiplied by your Rune Level, or 10,000 runes, whichever is greater.
There’s also the option to mark item locations, right down to the exact map coordinates of the treasure or enemy who drops it. You can only buy these after defeating the main healthbar boss of the item’s area. (This is usually the boss at the “end” of the area.) It’s Royal Knight Loretta for Liurnia as a whole, Godskin Apostle for Dragonbarrow and Altus Plateau, and Fallingstar Beast for Mt. Gelmir.) This costs 500 runes multiplied by your Rune Level, or 25000 runes, whichever is greater.
In the future, OOT Randomizer-style hints such as “a catacombs boss drops a key item” or “there are no key items in Leyndell” are planned.
Thanks to TKGP for SoulsFormats, Meowmaritus for SoulsFormats EMEVD editing and quickhack UXM, and HotPocketRemix for EMEVD instruction reversing. Thanks to everyone in ?ServerName? for being helpful and informative, and everyone in the rando discord for brainstorming ideas.
Finally, thanks to Saltyfish_King, Fababfan, and Plante for contributing translations and permission to use them in this Elden Ring Key Item Randomizer mod.
Source code is partly published to https://github.com/thefifthmatt/SoulsRandomizers. This may not be directly usable until MSBE is available in SoulsFormats.
Browse for more Elden Ring mods right below: